Georgia Teen Institute Seasonal Staff
In addition to GUIDE employees, Georgia Teen Institute is fully staffed and peer-led by high school, college age and adult volunteers. Each staff member is responsible for carrying out the program’s goals through team building, networking and skill building sessions. Staff are carefully screened and selected through an intense application and interview process. Once they are selected, they are required to attend staff development training.
Our Georgia Teen Institute Staff are the reason for the success of GTI. We could not hold our programs without them. They run Family Groups, assist with workshops, facilitate Team Meetings and do several behind-the-scenes jobs. They are full-time volunteers while at camp – and are the greatest group of youth and young adults that the state of Georgia has to offer!
All applicants have an equal chance of being asked to serve as staff for GTI programs. Anyone applying to be on staff at any level must:
- Complete the online application thoroughly and on time;
- Participate in either a virtual Staff Interview Session or a phone interview;
- Lead a healthy lifestyle, which includes not drinking alcohol underage or using tobacco/vapes or other drugs;
- Participate in training (Youth Staff must attend Staff Development Weekends, and Young Adult Staff and Adult Staff may be asked to attend these in addition to their specialized training); and
- Attend at least one full week-long GTI program.
See below for GTI staff levels:
Youth Staff (YS)
The Georgia Teen Institute (GTI) Youth Staff (YS) level allows youth ages 15-18 to build and cultivate their leadership skills with a hands-on approach. The YS level is an introductory role in leadership where youth have the ability to provide general support to the program. Peer-to-peer education is an important component at GTI, and YS have the opportunity to provide this to other teens from across Georgia. This is an excellent opportunity for youth who are interested in developing and/or refining their leadership skills.
During GTI 2024, we will have two Youth Staff levels:
Youth Staff 1
- Hybrid position that allows youth to experience some components of GTI (such as Family Group) as a participant while developing important skills necessary to serve on staff
- Staff are required to attend Staff Development Weekend 2
- Staff will mainly support large group sessions (such as General Sessions, Evening Activities and Free Time)
Youth Staff 2
- Full staff position that requires an increase in both skill development and leadership roles filled
- Staff are required to attend both Staff Development Weekend 1 and Staff Development Weekend 2
- Staff will mainly support small group sessions (such as Learning Labs, Team Meetings and Family Group)
Most Youth Staff members will pass through Level 1 before advancing to Level 2, allowing youth a natural progression in the program as they gain experience and grow leadership skills to take on more responsibility. Level selection is determined based on previous experience at GTI; the individual’s application, interview and references; and other leadership experience outside of the program.
All YS members are individuals who are ages 15-18 by January 1, 2024, who are enrolled as high school students. YS may or may not have attended GTI in the past as a participant or staff member.
Young Adult Staff (YAS)
The Georgia Teen Institute (GTI) Young Adult Staff (YAS) level combines hands-on leadership experience with practical mentorship and training. The YAS staff level is an advanced role that includes an individualized leadership plan focusing on strengths and interests for each member, as well as mentorship opportunities to prepare for the Adult Staff level. Responsibilities for each person will depend on their personal plan and may include, but are not limited to, planning and preparing for sessions, facilitating sessions and providing general support to ensure the success of the program. This is an excellent opportunity to build employable skills and make an impact in communities across Georgia.
YAS members are individuals who are ages 18-22 and have spent at least one year out of high school by the time of the summer program. YAS may or may not have attended GTI in the past as a participant or staff member.
Adult Staff (AS)
The Georgia Teen Institute (GTI) Adult Staff (AS) level gives individuals aged 23 and older a chance to volunteer in a variety of ways that support the Youth Staff, Young Adult Staff and GTI participants. The AS level is an advanced role that includes a lot of autonomy and responsibility and focuses on strengths and interests for each member. Responsibilities for each person will depend on their availability, skill sets and specific needs. These may include, but are not limited to, planning and preparing for sessions, facilitating sessions, mentoring youth or young adults and providing general support to ensure the success of the program. This is an excellent opportunity to engage with young people, enhance skills and make a difference to communities across Georgia.
AS members are individuals who are ages 23 and up. AS may or may not have attended GTI in the past as a participant or staff member and do not have to commit to the entire week (although participation for the duration of the program is preferred); these volunteers can serve for as little as one day.